Original Post Date- March 2018
Updated- July 2018
I am going to be honest with you guys. Last year I lost the baby weight when Noah was around one years old and somewhere towards the end of the year, I gained some of it back. I didn’t feel comfortable, my skin wasn’t the best and my confidence was low. I made it a 2018 goal to get my health back on track. I find it difficult to get back to eating right and working out after a long holiday, but I want to share a few tips that seem to help me refocus after a break.
I am sharing some workout ideas, snacks and “healthier” recipes now!
Since January, I have been working out consistently, eating better, and I feel like myself again. I have started taking Smarty Pants vitamins (you can find them at Whole Foods or here) and have made adjustments to my diet. Currently, since I am pregnant, I am now taking these prenatal vitamins, which are easy to take everyday and satisfy my constant sweet craving.
Let’s first start with the workouts…
The Barre Code– This gym and I go way back. I started with them when there was only one studio and it was actually called “Barre Bee Fit”. Now, they have studios all over Chicago, and in fact, the country. The classes got me ready for my wedding and have helped me stay in shape, but I slacked off after I had my son. 2017 wasn’t the year of exercise for me. I rejoined and I am so glad I did. I forgot how much I loved it. Everyone is so friendly and supportive, no matter your fitness level. Barre Code offers cardio, strength and restoration classes. My favorite is TBC- Total Body Conditioning. It is strength, cardio, and HARD, but so rewarding.
I think my favorite part are the challenges they encourage everyone to participate in. Every few months, they do a challenge for prizes, raffles, etc. Right now, I started their annual Spring it On, which is 15 out of 21 classes. Difficult, but gets you ready for spring. The next challenge is SPF (Strength Power Fuel), starting in June. I am already excited to participate in that one.
Definitely check it out if your elliptical workouts are starting to bore you!
Update: I am currently pregnant and still going 3-4 times a week. All the instructors are super helpful and will help you modify any exercise.
(Side note- I am not sponsored in any way. I genuinely love it and see such great benefits)
1. I started these online workout classes when I couldn’t make it to a class or the gym in January. You wouldn’t think they are challenging, but they really are! They definitely get raise your heart rate and you work up a sweat for sure. My husband still does them every morning (he’s an early bird) and it has helped him also get back into shape.
It’s perfect when babies are asleep or you don’t have time to make it to the gym. They range from 15-35 minutes:
2. This is going to sound obvious, but sometimes, cleaning the house while Noah sleeps is a workout for me! I make sure I track my steps and I can get thousands. I put on a good playlist (warning, it’s very pop) and get my heart rate.
Snacking is one of my biggest areas I need to improve. My snacks always seem to end in meals (sigh). All about portion control. Here are some I like:
2. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos (click on photo to see post)
Spicy black beans
Top with avocado, guacamole, feta cheese or salsa
3. Rice, Asparagus, and Chickpea Skillet (click the link for ingredients and directions)
4. Asian Chopped Salad with Steak (Click on link for ingredients and directions)
5. Recipe: Egg Muffins with Turkey Bacon and Kale (Click on link for ingredients and directions)
Some extra tips:
I hope you find some of these tips helpful and I would love to hear any tips you guys have! Add your comments below or DM on Instagram. They have definitely helped me get back on track after some time and I hope they do the same for you!
And as always, thanks for following and you can sign up for weekly email updates here.
Until next time,