I woke up with a serious pregnancy craving last week. I needed Sloppy Joe. It’s a childhood classic and I knew I had to make it for dinner. This recipe is a little lighter than the traditional recipe, but still very kid friendly (Noah devoured it). It’s also made with San Marzano tomatoes, but can easily be swapped out for tomato sauce.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 medium finely chopped red or white onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 4 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms (1/2 container)
- 1/2 can (8-ounce) San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoon mustard (Dijon or regular)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring until turkey crumbles. Add in onions, mushrooms and black beans.
- Stir in San Marzano tomatoes and add in all the spices; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. If it’s slightly watery, cover until liquid evaporates.
- Add to whole wheat buns and enjoy!
Until next time,