I woke up with a serious pregnancy craving last week. I needed Sloppy Joe. It’s a childhood classic and I knew I had to make it for dinner. This recipe is a little lighter than the traditional recipe, but still very kid friendly (Noah devoured it). It’s also made with San Marzano tomatoes, but can easily be swapped out for tomato sauce.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 medium finely chopped red or white onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 4 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms (1/2 container)
- 1/2 can (8-ounce) San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoon mustard (Dijon or regular)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and garlic; cook 10 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring until turkey crumbles. Add in onions, mushrooms and black beans.
- Stir in San Marzano tomatoes and add in all the spices; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. If it’s slightly watery, cover until liquid evaporates.
- Add to whole wheat buns and enjoy!
I hope you like it! Let me know if you make it. As always thanks for reading and you can find me here on Instagram and sign up for weekly blog post emails .
Until next time,