I think we all know that this year is unlike any other. I mean COVID is changing everything, including the ways we shop. Now that Chicago is in another lockdown advisory, it’s impacting our small businesses so much. So this year it’s more important than ever to shop local. I have partnered with the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce to show you a few of my favorite small businesses to shop at this holiday season!
Bitter Pops for Wine Lovers
This liquor store is so great! They have lots of local beers, unique wines and spirits. I love their wine selection because they carry mostly all small, women or people of color owned wineries. The owner helped me pick out wine from very unique wineries. One that is women owned in Italy (very rare!) and her kids draw all the wine labels. I picked up two bottles that would make great gifts for any wine lover in your life! The pricing is from around $12 and higher.
Pre Covid they had tastings and hopefully in the spring are opening a brand new, larger location next door with wine tastings, food and a patio! Their website is updated daily so you can see their selection. They deliver and offer curbside pickup as well.
Building Blocks Toy Store for kids
This adorable toy store has so many goodies at lots of different price points! Everything from books by Chicago authors to toys for every age. I picked out a children’s cookbook for the kids so we can bake this long winter we are about to have. They also have a virtual toy catalog that you can call in and order from, they will wrap it and it will be ready for curbside pickup.
Southport Grocery for foodies
One of my favorite brunch spots is Southport Grocery. They make so many jams, sauces and packaged mixes that make a great gift. They have a pancake, scone and bread pudding prepackaged mixes for $25 and under that would be a great gift for any foodie.
M2 Boutique for friends or family
This store is so cute and the owner Mel is so great. She helped me pick out a great gift for my mother-in- law. The store has unique Chicago gifts, candles, bride and groom gifts and more. I picked up a Chicago CTA serving platter and Chicago holiday towel for $45 dollars.
Mel is also offering anyone that uses the code CGL15 can get 15% off their total order! She has online or phone orders plus private shopping experiences with appointments!
Beermiscuous for beer lovers
I am not a beer drinker at all, but Manny is. So I went in knowing nothing and they helped me put together a 6 pack for $16 dollars of all very local beers. Many of these beers can’t be find at a lot of places. Beermiscuous is also doing virtual beer tastings. This would make an awesome gift for beer lovers during these crazy COVID times.
These are just few ideas out of the 70 small businesses in Lakeview! The Lakeview Chamber of Commerce is also running lots of holiday deals this year and you can check some of that out below.
Lakeview Holiday Promotions
- Gift card: Receive a $20 bonus card for every $100 you buy from 11/20 – 12/31. The gift card is accepted at over 70 local shops and restaurants.
- The Lakeview Holiday Stroll: Many businesses throughout Lakeview will offer special holiday deals from 12/4 – 12/6 and have decorations and holiday music in their store.
- Lakeview Holiday Gift Guide online marketplace: customers can shop gift packages crafted by Lakeview shops to order for pickup or free delivery sponsored by SSA 27 (for a limited time) – sales run through 12/21.
- Lakeview Home for the Holidays Gift Package: This gift package with cozy items from local businesses to enjoy at home, including fun socks, a candle, tea towel, popcorn and cocktail mixer all packaged in a Lakeview tote bag supplied by SSA 27.
- A Lakeview Holiday Kids Kit: Because so many of us needs things to do at home this year. This kit filled with holiday festivities from local businesses including sweets from Candyality & Southport Grocery & Cafe, crafts from KidCreate Art Studio and Mothership Launchpad, virtual classes from the Music Playhouse of Chicago and the Kids Table, special coupons and more. Pre-order by Sunday, 12/6.
I hope this gives you some ideas to shop local this holiday season in Lakeview! If you need other Chicago gift ideas, you can check them out here.
Until next time,