Recipe: Acorn Squash Bowls
Acorn squash is in season right now and I found them for $0.69 cents at the store, why not take advantage. Since the holidays, I have been trying to eat lighter and this dish is perfect for a weekday meal. I find that acorn squash isn’t too sweet and it takes on whatever flavor you combine it with, which makes it very versatile! For a vegetarian version, I think soy chorizo would be great in these.
Although the acorn takes 30-35 minutes to cook, the rest of the dish takes minutes to prepare. It could be a good idea to cook the squash the night before and just prepare everything the following day. Check out my Instagram page for more photos here.
Prep time: 40-45 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved down the middle, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 sausage links
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Optional- red pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 375°. Cut a thin slice off round side of each squash half to create a stable base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray.
- Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until golden and tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat broiler.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausage, onion, garlic and chicken stock. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Fill squash bowls with sausage and kale mixture. Sprinkle panko and parmesan
- Broil until panko is golden, 2- minutes.