Acorn squash is in season right now and I found them for $0.49 cents at the store, why not take advantage?! Since I have been indulging so much lately, I have been trying to eat a little lighter and this dish is perfect for a weekday meal. I find that acorn squash isn’t too sweet and it takes on whatever flavor you combine it with, which makes it very versatile. For a vegetarian version, I think soy chorizo would be great in these. Other fillings that would be good are:
- turkey bacon
Sometimes acorn squash can be tricky to cut, but I learned if you slice a thin slice off the bottom, it will create a stable base and can be cooked in the oven that way. Once it’s cooked and cooled, you can slice it in half.
Although the acorn takes 30-35 minutes to cook, the rest of the dish takes minutes to prepare. It could be a good idea to cook the squash the night before and just prepare everything the following day. This just makes everything to much faster.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved down the middle, seeds removed OR Spaghetti Squash- Cook at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 chicken sausage links (I like spicy Italian)
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Optional- red pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 375°. Cut a thin slice off round side of each squash half to create a stable base. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; coat with cooking spray.
- Place squash flesh side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until golden and tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside. Once cooled, slice in half. It should be easy to cut through.
- Heat broiler.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add sausage, onion, garlic and chicken stock. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Fill squash bowls with sausage and kale mixture. Sprinkle panko and parmesan
- Broil until panko is golden, 2 minutes.
Until next time,