I am one of those people that probably couldn’t live without cheese. I love it. No way could I take it out of my diet. So when Midwest Dairy wanted to collaborate with locally made Midwest cheese, I was like YES. OBVIOUSLY :). I wanted to create a classic winter meal that is more of a grown up version. It’s a roasted garlic and gruyere grilled cheese. The best adult grilled cheese!
Below are some affiliate links at no cost for you to click on through!
Serving: 2 sandwiches
- Thinly sliced Gruyere cheese. I headed to Mariano’s because they have an awesome cheese department, but Whole Foods does too!
- Slice 1 tomato.
- Half a loaf of sourdough bread. You could use other types of bread, but I love sour dough for grilled cheese.
- A few sprigs of basil
- 1 head of garlic
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees.
- Cut off the head of the garlic, top with olive oil & wrap in aluminium foil in a baking pan.
- Bake it for 40 minutes. You want it nice and toasty on the outside so it’s easy to spread on the bread.
- Once it’s done, spread the garlic & butter on sourdough bread
- To cook it, we use this stove top griddle. We use it to make grilled cheese, pancakes, warm tortillas and more! We’ve had it for years and love it. It’s reversible so even better.
- Add thinly sliced Gruyere cheese & cook until it’s melted
- top with tomato & basil and enjoy!
Grilled Cheese Pairings
I paired it with tomato soup, I really like Pacific Foods tomato soup. You can find it at almost any grocery store. That’s why I cut the sandwiches into quarters, it makes it easy to dunk into the soup!
Other cheeses like white or sharp cheddar or gouda are also other great pairings. Then add your favorite meats and snacks. I added apples and grapes for the kids to eat. But there is no right or wrong!
If you make this, tag me at thechicagogoodlife! To find other recipes, you can check out more here.
Until next time,