‘Tis the season for pumpkin everything. Lattes, candy, candles and even body wash (yes, I can’t believe it either). Way before pumpkin became a trend, I’ve always liked pumpkin pastries, especially in the morning. Many are filled with sugar and lot’s of artificial junk. Although this does have some sugar, it’s a lot less than other pumpkin pastries I’ve had. I experimented with these skinny pumpkin bars a few times and think I have found perfect balance.
These bars are a great treat and toddler approved. Whether a pre-dinner snack or a dessert, these pumpkin bars are delicious. They are not overly pumpkin and the chocolate chips are a great addition, but could be supplemented with sliced almonds too. My son devoured three in one day and I am not going to even tell you how many I ate…..
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar (you could use an artificial sweetener, however I have never tried to less the calories)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (I tried margarine. It doesn’t taste the same)
- 2 eggs and 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (15oz) can All Natural mashed pumpkin (I like Trader Joes and Aldi)
- ¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (you could substitute for sliced almonds)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugars; mix until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time; beating and scraping bowl with each addition.
- Add egg whites; mix until fluffy.
- Add applesauce and pumpkin; mix until all blended together
- Add dry ingredients all at once and mix until thick consistency.
- Add in mini chocolate chips.
- Evenly spread into prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 23-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy!
Until next time,