It’s spring in Chicago, hooray! And with the nicer weather comes flowers, patio weather, and Mother’s Day! I’ve put together a huge resource of all sorts of gifts (local and online), brunches, and high teas. Now, I want to talk about my favorite gifts: events and experiences! Here’s a round-up of my picks for celebrating Chicago Mother’s Day!
P.S. If a mom sent this blog to you, Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 14, 2023. 😉
The Events and Experiences Guide
There’s nothing like a spa day to pamper mom! All we want is for someone else to take care of us for a little while! Here are some of my favorite salons and spas.
- AIRE Ancient Baths Chicago – AIRE is located in a historic West Town building and offers massage, tours of your own pace through several baths of different temperatures, exfoliations, and even a wine bath! Book an appointment for her (or yourself) or get a gift card.
- Face Foundrie – Face Foundrie is my go-to for skincare and facials! They have two locations in the city, Bucktown and West Loop, and a third opening soon in Naperville. Gift cards are available.
- Legendary Spa – Legendary does it all and they do it expertly – lashes and brows, nails and nail art, skincare, makeup application, and spray tans. They have locations in Lakeview, West Loop, and Wicker Park. Get a gift card here.
- The Now Massage – This massage boutique has 6 Chicagoland locations – West Loop, South Loop, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, and Naperville. Each beautifully zen space offers three different massages and an array of enhancements like herbal heat therapy, gua sha, and soothing eye masks. Get a gift card or sign her up for a monthly membership!
Activities and Events
I want to do all of these fun Mother’s Day experiences! Hint, hint, Manny!
Art Institute of Chicago (Loop) – there are so many great exhibitions currently at AIC! I have the Salvador Dali, Gio Swaby, and Kwame Brathwaite exhibits on my must-see list. Van Gogh and the Avant-Garde: The Modern Landscape opens at the Art Institute on May 14, 2023!
Cabaret Zazou (Loop) has a special Mother’s Day show and as of this writing, tickets are still available! Honestly, I loved every minute of it, even more than I thought I would. I remember during the show I texted my mom telling her that I need to bring her back. Its SO good! See my IG review here!
Kit Kat Lounge (Lake View East) has a deal on Groupon right now for a prix fixe dinner for 2 with 1 martini each for $75. If you haven’t been to this iconic drag bar and restaurant, you are missing out on some of the best cocktails and entertainment in the city! While the deal is only for dinner, they offer drag brunches, too!
Mozart Immersive (Near North Side) is the newest immersive art experience at Lighthouse ArtSpace Chicago. I haven’t been to this show, but we loved the Van Gogh and Frida exhibits. The space is just beautful. They also offer Paint & Sip classes and Immersive yoga!
Painting with a Twist (South Loop, Lake View), a BYOB painting studio, is always fun and they have a bunch of different Mother’s Day weekend events priced at $35-40! Bring your bubbly and they’ll have the OJ and painting supplies! Really, its like a date too! Here is the South Loop calendar and this is the Lake View one.
Get your Downton Abbey and Bridgerton on and take part in a timeless tradition. I think having tea is a classic way to spend a Chicago Mother’s Day! Here are some of my favorite tea services:
- Bridges Lobby Bar at LondonHouse Hotel (Loop) offers daily tea service this Spring (4/1-6/18/23) from 12pm-3pm. This is a modern tea with great river views and is priced at $85 per person.
- Tip Top Tap Ballroom at The Warwick Allerton Hotel (Streeterville) has a traditional afternoon high tea service and Groupon is offering a deal for Friday, Saturday, and Sundays in April, May and June 2023.
- The Lobby at The Peninsula Hotel *SPLURGE* (River North) is currently offering Peter Rabbit Afternoon Tea: The World of Peter Rabbit from April 7-July 2, most Fridays through Sundays, 2:30 pm and 4:30 pm. $140 per adult and $70 per child, ages 5-12 years old. Pre-paid reservations via Tock are required. They also have a special Mother’s Day Brunch on May 14 and a Derby Day Brunch on May 6.
- The Palm Court at The Drake Hotel (Streeterville) serves up afternoon tea most Fridays-Sundays, 12:00pm-4:30pm. This is one of the more traditional teas and one of the most affordable! Adults tickets are $69 and childrens tickets are $35.
- Kostali by NAHA at The Gwen (River North) is always a blast! Their Tipsy Tea Party is high-energy (meaning there’s a DJ) and would be so fun with a group of moms! I did this last year with some friends and we loved it! Reservations are available Saturdays (Noon and 2:30pm seatings) and Sundays (1pm seating) at The Gwen. Sometimes they have themed events, like the “Bad Bunny” Tipsy Tea happening on Sundays in April.
- The Allis at Soho House (Fulton Market) has an elevated afternoon high tea experience on Fridays and Saturdays from 2pm to 4:30pm. Afternoon Tea Service is $55 and Sparkling Tea Service is $68.
Visit a Farmers Market together and buy her some flowers and handmade treats! Here are the ones open on the Saturday and Sunday of Mother’s Day weekend.
- Division Street City Market (opens May 6)
- Green City Market West Loop (opens May 6)
- Green City Market Lincoln Park (opens Apr 1)
- Nettelhorst French Market Lakeview East (opens Apr 15)
- Lincoln Park Farmers Market (opens Apr 29)
- 61st Street Farmers Market (opens May 13)
- Wicker Park (tentatively opens may 7)
- 95th St Farmers Market (opens May 7)
- Logan Square Farmers Market (opens May 14)
Lilla Barn (Andersonville) is offering a block-printing workshop on May 5, 2023 from 1pm-7pm. Handmade gifts make the best gifts for Mom, even when you’re all grown up! Come learn block printing from Andria Green, and create a hand printed, one of a kind gift for your mama or special person. Choose from two pattern options, with a 100% cotton towel, ink, and tools provided. Towels will be packaged and ready to take home in about 20 minutes! Register for a spot here!
Lincoln & Roscoe Spring Art & Craft Fair (Lake View) runs Saturday, May 13 from 10am-7pm and Sunday, May 14 from 10am-5pm. I love this fair, it’s such a fun outing – browsing unique art, painting your own masterpiece, dancing to live music, and enjoying some drinks and small bites from the food vendors!
Spring Flower Shows (Garfield Park & Lincoln Park) are always a good idea! Both shows at Garfield Park Conservatory and Lincoln Park Conservatory are free to attend and close on Mother’s Day! My family and I recently went to GPC and loved it!
The Vintage Bazaar (Lower West Side) is the first annual vintage and antique block party hosted by Lo Rez Brewery and Pilsen Vintage Fest. It runs May 13-14 and will have over 40 vintage and antique vendors. plus food, drinks, and music. The event is free, but purchasing tickets ahead is recommended. Plus, if you’ve been holding on to some family heirlooms and want to get them appriased, you can sign up for a time to meet with an antiques expert!
I hope this gave you some good ideas for a Chicago Mother’s Day, either for yourself, or a special mom in your life! For more ideas, see my local Mother’s Day shopping guide, my online shopping guide, and a list of brunches and high teas on my Insta.